Friday, January 24, 2014

Beef & Stout Stew

Of all the differences between Aaron and I, I think the one I am confused by the most is the fact that he does not particularly like pot roast or beef stew. These happen to be two of the most wonderful and comforting foods on the planet, so I just don't get it.

Because of this fact, these are dishes that I don't make often. However, sometimes I just have to. (Sorry, babe.) I've been just pulling out the menu plans from Cooking Light lately, and a couple of weeks ago, this Hearty Beef and Stout Stew was on the menu. So I made it.

I had to leave for book club before dinner, so I left the stew on the stove for Aaron and the kids to eat. (I must confess that I had my doubts as to whether or not he would eat it.) When I got in my car to head home, I was shocked when I checked my phone and had received a text from Aaron: "Best stew I have ever had, only one I have ever liked." Whoa. 

So, needless to say, I'm saving the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
12 oz. boneless beef chuck, trimmed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
5 tsp. olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups (1/4 inch thick) diagonally cut carrots
6 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 thyme sprigs
1 T. tomato paste
2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 cup stout beer (such as Guiness)
1 1/2 cups unsalted beef broth
1 T. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce

DIRECTIONS

  1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add beef to pan, and cook for 3 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. 
  2. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add chopped onion, carrot, mushrooms, and thyme sprigs; sauté for 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beer; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. 
  3. Combine beef stock and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add stock mixture to pan. 
  4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in beef, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Stir in soy sauce. Discard thyme.
SERVINGS 4
Serving 1 cup | Calories 318 | Fat 16.7g | Protein 20.8g | Carbohydrate 18.9g

No comments:

Post a Comment